Saturday 26 September 2009

Wonderful Box Of Norah Wellings Pixie People




Just after I completed my book in 2003 I was delighted to see advertised at Auction in America this wonderful box of Pixies. Luckily for me I won them but unfortunately too late for my book. They are really a mystery, the box is marked 1001 which should contain the items shown on the box lid. Looking at them from left to right Dutch Boy model 123, Sammy model 126, Knutto Monkey model 450 Dudu model 122,Jollyboy model 139 and Turko, model 955. As you can see the box has four wonderful Pixes inside. Normally a box of Pixies would contain 6 different models and it would be marked 1006.This leads to the Mystery.. either.. the wrong box was sent with an order containing only 4 Pixies or 6 Pixies were sent and 2 have gone missing. Another possibility is the box and the Pixies may have been matched up at a later date by the original owner of both, only speculation. Despite them being mix and match I was thrilled to win them and it is lovely to see such a colourful box with equally bright and colourful contents. I should mention the box itself is all red with a gold design and measures 11 1/2 inches by 9 inches. Usually the Norah Wellings Boxes are very plain with only the Norah Wellings symbol at the end of the box.
The Pixies were first shown in the Norah Wellings Catalgue in 1936. They are at the top of my list of favourites. The models in this box from left to right are 1121, 1123, 1124 and 1125. The first two models only appeared for a couple of years and are the hardest to find. They are all between 8 and 9 inches in height. All have felt heads with painted faces (no ears). The first two models are bald and the last two have painted hair. All have Painted faces, velvet clothing as an integral part of their bodies, felt hats,felt pointy feet to represent pixie shoes and felt single piece hands. The blue model 1124 has Felt Wings.All have Norah Wellings labels sewn to their their feet. Two of the Pixies also have their cardboard round label stating 'I'm one of Norah Wellings' "Little Pixie People"
I hope you enjoy seeing these wonderful Norah Wellings Pixies and their Mystery Box.

6 comments:

  1. I have a Norah Wellings Pixie doll that was given to my son 39 years ago. It has a damaged hand but otherwise is in good shape. I would like to sell it. Can you tell me how much it is worth?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deb,
    Thank you for your enquiry. I would really need to see a photo of the Pixie as condition plays an important part to value cloth dolls. You can send a picture to norahwellingsjournal@gmail.com and I will let you know.
    Kind Regards
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a pixie ...it is in good to excellent condition...could you give me a price range of what it is worth...i dont have a good camera or means of sending you a picture...it also has the stand. sandra@bjtwin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandra,
    Thank you for your email. Very difficult to value without seeing a photo as condition plays such a major part in the value of cloth dolls. Also the model number as some are rarer than others. I have seen the 9 to 10 inch ones sell between £30 to £100+ depending on condition and model number.
    Kind Regards
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya
    just wondering if you could give me some idea of the value of a norah wellings pyjamas case
    thankyou so much for your time
    marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie,
    Thank you for your enquiry. I would really need to see a photo of the Norah Wellings Pyjama Case to value it as it depends on model number and condition. If you can send a photo to norahwellingsjournal@gmail.com I can give you some idea. Thank You
    Kind Regards
    Gill

    ReplyDelete