Friday 2 November 2018

Norah Wellings 'Harry The Hawk', A Very Special Mascot

Remembrance Day is nearly upon us and I have been holding back this very special story about a  Norah Wellings Harry The Hawk Doll that was used as a Mascot in the Second World War. I am very  grateful to Gerry Burke who contacted me through this blog as he saw a photo of a Harry The Hawk that I had written an article on. It answered a question he had and I am very pleased he was able to share his information and the wonderful photographs and has allowed me to share them with you. I thought it better to copy part of the two emails Gerry sent me below.

   ' I came across your website whilst trying to determine what 46 squadrons mascot was in 1940-41.
It seems that they had a Harry the Hawk doll.
46 squadron flew Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain and it's quite possible that their mascot, Harry the Hawk, flew in a hurricane with one or more of the pilots during the Battle of Britain.
I have attached some photographs for your interest. The first one is a bit dark but Harry is hanging by his parachute.'


You can just see Harry Hanging up in the background






Of course I can hear you all say where is Harry now and Yes I did ask the question.

' I have no idea what eventually happened to Harry the Hawk. I always thought that he had been made by one of the squadrons wives of girlfriends until I saw your web site.
The photos were sent to me years ago when I was looking for photographs of Battle of Britain airmen for a book I was assisting with '



Maybe someone out there has this particular Harry the Hawk it would be wonderful to think he has survived.. What a great job Harry The Hawk and Max the Dog did as Mascots for the 46th Squadron.
If you would like to know more about Harry The Hawk please take a look at my article on this link, you may need to copy and paste the address if the link does not work

  http://norahwellingsjournal.blogspot.com/2013/04/norah-wellings-harry-hawk.html

No comments:

Post a Comment